Hey there 🙂 I made a yummy tofu and spinach cannelloni for Sunday dinner at my grans as they were having a meat packed pie 😦 i tucked into my vegan dinner and it was amazing……i was kind of surprised if i’m honest i didn’t think that it would be as good as it was 🙂 No-one else ate it, or tried it, which is disappointing but i loooved it 🙂 i had it with a salad on the side but it would be nice with garlic bread 🙂 So it tastes good……but its also super good for u too….low in fat….helps lower cholesterol…..rich in protein and iron 🙂 whats not to love about this dish….. 🙂
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 50g pine nuts , roughly chopped and dry fried till golden
- 400g bag spinach
- pinch grated nutmeg
- 349g pack tofu
- 300g pack fresh lasagna sheets (or cook wholewheat pasta sheets in boiling water rand salt till al dente)
- 4 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- splash of hot sauce (i use Encona)
- 2 bay leaves
- tbsp dry mixed herbs
- salt and cracked black pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the garlic and onion and fry for 4 mins until softened, once lightly browned remove half the mixture and save for the tofu mixture later….. Pour tomatoes into the pot along with bay, hot sauce and season and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and cook for 10 mins until sauce thickens
- Wilt spinach, then tip out excess liquid. Whizz tofu in a food processor or with a hand blender until smooth, then stir through the spinach, onion and garlic mix, nutmeg and a good amount of pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Pour half tomato sauce into a 20 x 30cm dish. Divide spinach mix between lasagne sheets, roll up and lay on top of sauce. Pour over remaining sauce. Bake for 30 mins.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over top of dish, drizzle with remaining oil and bake for 10 mins until crumbs are golden.
The lighting wasn’t very good at all when i took this pic but you get the idea 🙂